Thursday, June 3, 2010

Going Bananas

I never used to be a big Banana fan, but when I started on my new healthy way of living I started to incorporate them more into my diet. Seeing as though I am picky and don't eat much variety, I started having a mid morning banana everyday at my desk in between breakfast and lunch. I like to munch on healthy snacks through out the day so I am never really HUNGRYYYY. I just finished my mid morning banana and got to thinking, what benefits do bananas have? Aside from being available all year round, what health benifits do they have? So I decided to do a little research and share it with you.

-Like many fruits and vegetables, bananas contain no fat, sodium or cholesterol.
-Bananas are rich in vitamin B6 and they are a good source of fiber, vitamin C, magnesium and potassium. (Lack of B6 in a diet can cause weakness, irritability and insomnia)
-The potassium found in bananas can help to regulate blood pressure and may reduce the risk of high blood pressure and stroke.
-Potassium is also essential for helping muscles to contract properly during exercise and reduces cramping up.
-A medium-sized banana provides 400 mg of potassium -11% of daily value- and contains 110 calories and 4 grams of fiber.
-Bananas also lots of carbohydrates which are the body's main source of energy. They are also easy to digest.
-Because of their great taste, they can also serve as a substitute for sweets and satisfy sugar cravings.
-Research has shown that serotonin and nor epinephrine in bananas may naturally help sufferers overcome depression. They are the good mood food.
-The Convenience and nutritional value of bananas make them a good post-exercise snack. During long exercises your body loses vitamins and minerals and a banana replaces these nutrients as well as giving you the energy you need.
-Bananas are relatively high in iron, which helps the body's hemoglobin function and helps fight anemia...

And there is even more, but I think we all get the point. Besides being a great convenient sweet snack Bananas are nutritionally a great pick. & If you choose to snack on a banana your one step closer to getting in all your daily fruits and vegetables!!

No comments:

Post a Comment