Below is an easy recipe for a contemporary chicken dish made with fresh vegetables.
4 skinless/boneless chicken breast halves
1 5.8oz box of quick-cooking couscous
1tsp lemon pepper seasoning
1Tbsp fresh rosemary chopped (or 1/2tsp dried and crushed)
3 garlic cloves minced
1 medium zucchini
1 yellow squash
15 cherry tomatoes
1/2 cup apple juice
2Tbsp apple juice
fresh rosemary springs for garnish (optional)
- To start prepare your vegetables by slicing the zucchini and squash in half lengthwise, then make 1/4 inch cuts with-wise.
- Cut each of your tomatoes in half.
TIP: If you are using fresh rosemary the best way to remove the leaves from the stem is to hold the top of the stem with your left forefinger and thumb with the leaves facing up. Then with your right hand grasp the stem right below your left fingers with your right forefinger and thumb and move slowly down the stem easily stripping the leaves off.
- Cut your chicken breasts in half. If your chicken breasts are thick you will want to pound them out.
- Next prepare your couscous as instructed on the box
- Place olive oil in a skillet over medium heat
- Once hot place chicken in skillet and dust the chicken with 1/2 tsp of lemon pepper.
- After approximately 7 minutes turn the chicken and dust with the remaining 1/2tsp of lemon pepper. Continue to cook the through approximately 7 more minutes.
- Place chicken aside and keep covered to keep it warm
- Place garlic, zucchini and squash in skillet after 30 seconds add a 1/2 cup of apple juice, salt and rosemary.
- Allow the juice to come to a boil, cover and then reduce heat to low and simmer for 2 minutes.
- In a small glass mix cornstarch into 2Tbsp of apple juice. Slowly add this slury to the skillet while stiring slowly. Continue to stir until the broth becomes thick and starts to bubble, then add tomatoes.
- Plate chicken and vegetables over couscous and garnish with a rosemary spring if desired.
What do you think?
Will you try this new recipe?