Saturday, October 31, 2015

Easy Homemade Apple Cider!

     
This is my simple recipe for homemade Apple Cider.  It's so easy, you make it in a crock pot! For this batch I used 6 apples of the same variety, but feel free to use a couple different types of apples if you want.  You can also mix together sweeter and tart varieties for a great flavor. You can also add a slice of orange for an unique citrus burst.   Besides being left with wonderfully delicious clean apple cider, making this will leave your home smelling amazing!




What you need: 
6 Apples
3 Cinnamon sticks or 2 Tbsp Ground Cinnamon
1 clove
1 tsp ground allspice
1 Tbsp Raw Honey








Quarter your apples and place all of your ingredients in your crock pot.  Then cover with filtered water.  Place the lid on top and set the crock pot to high.



After a three hours your apples will be soft, using a wooden spoon you can stir the apples to help them break down.  Mashing up the soft apples will help their flavor absorb into the cider.  Now let the mash simmer on high for another three hours.



Once your apples have fully broken down it's time to strain your cider.  I used my NUT BAG to strain my cider but you can use a fine mesh sieve or cheese cloth.  I first transferred my cider to a large measuring cup so it would be easier to strain.  You may also want to allow the cider to cool for about 20 minutes or pop it in the fridge for a few minutes since you will need to squeeze the mash and you don't want to burn your hands.


After removing the cinnamon sticks slowly pour your cider through your strainer over a large bowl, then begin to squeeze the liquid out of the mash. Continue to squeeze until all the liquid has been removed, you will be left with very little mash.



Now you have fresh homemade Apple Cider!



Since I use no processed sugars in my kitchen, this recipe only contains a small amount of raw honey. If you want want a completely sugar free cider you can omit the honey.  Apples are sweet on their own so your cider will still taste wonderfully. 

Now you can serve your apple cider! I prefer it warm but this cider taste great served warm or cold! You can store it in the fridge in an airtight container for about a week. I also add the cinnimon sticks back to the cider after I strain it.




ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment