Guacamole is one of my favorite foods and it is actually good for you! Avocados have gotten a bad reputation for being a food that is high in fat, while they are high in fat, the oil it contains actually ranks among the healthiest types of fat. Plus all the other ingredients in Guacamole are highly alkalizing (means they help promote weight loss, increased stamina and strength, a stronger immune system and a greater sense of well being) and loaded with nutrients. It`s important to make Guacamole fresh though. Here is a simple and easy recipe.
What you Will Need:
4 ripe avocados (soft to the touch)
1/2 red onion
4 Cloves of Garlic
A Handful of FRESH cilantro
1/2 tsp of Salt and Pepper
You Will also need: A large bowl, large knife, small knife, spoon & hand grater
- To start slice up the avocados. I like to take a small knife and slice a few time horizontally and vertically to create chucks to start from. Then using a large spoon scoop out the avocado into a large bowl.
- Next you want to "De-Vein" your Jalapeno. This is done by simply by taking a small knife and removing the white stem and seeds from the pepper. TIP if you like HOT you can add some seeds to your guacamole
Once the vein is removed you want to grate the Jalapeno using a fine hand grater. If you don't have one you can finely dice the Jalapeno.
I like the flavor you get from using this method.
- Now using a large knife you want to dice your onion.
An easy way to dice an onion is to first hold the onion with one hand flat on top and make horizontal slices
Than starting with the tip of your knife make vertical slices
Now all you have to do is slice the onion and its diced for you
- Next you want to add four cloves of garlic. Again I like to use a fine hand grater, this really adds to the flavor of the final guacamole. If you don't have one you can use a garlic press or finely mince the garlic using a sharp knife.
- Again using the fine hand grater you want to zest half a lime
- Than using a juicer, juice the whole lime into your Guacamole
- Using a sharp knife you want to mince the cilantro. This consists of just the leaves no stems
- Add 1/2 tsp of both Salt and Pepper. Then using a large spoon mix the ingredients together in the bowl while also mashing some of the avocado into more of a paste.
- Using a large spoon gently fold in the diced tomatoes
Now all you need are your favorite whole wheat chips to enjoy your fresh homemade Guacamole! I like to use Weight Watchers wheat chips because I know they are healthy and its also a pre measured portion.
Yields 12 servings: Each serving has 3 WW Points Plus Values