Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Tuesday's Tip! How To Make Buttermilk!

Buttermilk is not something I usually have on hand in my kitchen.  I usually know beforehand if a recipe I am making calls for it. That being said, we’ve all been there when we come across a new dish we want to try or we get mid-recipe and realize that its calls for an ingredient we don't have.  This happened to me the other night and I know like most people I don't want to run out to the grocery store for just one item.  The best thing about being out of buttermilk though is that you can easily make do with a simple at home substitute. There are a few ways to make your own buttermilk, but I have always stuck to the old school, tried and true, and simplest way.  All you need is two ingredients and five minutes.



Ingredients:

  • Milk (just under one cup)
  • 1 Tablespoon white vinegar or lemon juice (I have always used vinegar)
 
1. Add one Tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice in a liquid measuring cup.
2. Add enough milk to bring the liquid up to the one-cup line.
3. Let stand for five minutes. (It will start to look curdled)
4. Stir and use.


TIP: If you have heavy cream on hand, use that in place of the milk and you will have real buttermilk

No comments:

Post a Comment